Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Welcome Post-Ranger Musings

Hey Readers,

My name is James Wrabel. I'm a 21 year old student at Kean University in Union, NJ, looking to get into either sports broadcasting or sports radio. Let me first say that I'm really excited to be writing a blog about what I'm passionate about-sports. I hope that you will continue to come back and read because you were able to feel how passionate I am through my writing and liked what you read. For the record, I don't claim to be an expert in any field, I just post my opinion on the matter, that's all. It may be something you disagree with or have never heard someone say before, but that's the whole point of reading; stimulate the mind and learn something. So be prepared for edgy, intriguing, and though-provoking material.

My teams of choice are The New York Giants, New York Mets, and New York Rangers. The latter is my personal favorite and will be what I mostly will blog about. On occasion I'll post something about the other 2 but be prepared to read about the Rangers.

So let's begin....

The NHL regular season is about 3 weeks away from beginning and time couldn't be going slower. I'm growing increasingly impatient waiting for that puck to drop. It's almost as if my life stops from June till October and the only way to bring me back is the feel of the chill in air from the fresh sheet of ice and the energy of a MSG crowd.

The Rangers were plenty busy this off-season, practically renovating their entire roster. Out are the likes of Straka, Avery, and the always enigmatic Jaromir Jagr. Coming to Broadway are a set of new faces to usher in a different era; one of speed, skill, and tenacity. The main offensive threat? A 24 year old phenom in Nikolai Zherdev. The PP QB to run the dismal and inefficient Rangers power-play of past years? 31 year old Wade Redden, coming off his worst statistical year in 07-08. The Veteran Leadership? Besides Drury and Gomez, 35 year old Markus Naslund, former captain of the Vancouver Canucks, the team he spent most of his career with.

You'll notice theres a few of many questions that can be asked about this new Rangers team. No one can be certain how well or poorly the Rangers will do this season. A significant portion of their success will ride on the theory that a change of scenery does an athlete good. Sometimes being put in with a different mix of guys and escaping the demons and failures of another team can revitalize a player and invigorate him with a new sense of confidence. But there's a reason its called a theory, its not an exact science. Sometimes a change of scenery does nothing or in worst cases is detrimental to that player. The Rangers are relying heavily on the change of scenery theory for Zherdev, Naslund, and Redden, who are needed to produce for the Rangers in order for them to win games this season. The spectrum of success and failure is so broad because there are so many uncertainties. Being a fan, my only hope is the Rangers play with heart and effort every night because if they do, no matter the outcome, you can feel good about the team you put enormous faith in.

Until next time...

No comments: