Monday, April 20, 2009

Varlamov does his best Tikanov, Caps blank 4-0

I apologize or no Game 2 re-cap, I didn't see the game and I'm almost sadden to say I saw all of tonight's Game 3 fizzling of the Rangers.

------

Quick Hits:

- My hat is off to Simeone Varlamov. Although not severely tested all game, the rookie netminder posted his first ever win in the postseason with a shutout. To be able to go into MSG, down 2-0, and get a win like that deserves big time credit and puts Washington right back in the series.

- Rangers had no offensive flow all game. Most of that can be contributed to all the time New York spent killing penalties.

- Speaking of which, this had to have been one of the worst officiated playoff games I've seen. The Callahan high-sticking penalty, the Avery goalie interference. I have a hard time biting my lip when refs try to decide the outcome of a game by getting whistle happy. It goes to a completely different level when it occurs in the playoffs.

- Ryan Callahan has hit 3 posts so far in this series. Had he buried his chance tonight it would have been a 1-1 game, and not the 2-0 game it came to be 10 seconds after hitting iron.

- The Rangers power play has gone beyond scary to watch. The team once again had plenty of chances to get a goal and couldn't generate a lick of offense. It will make or break them in the playoffs.

------
Game 4 is back at MSG Wednesday night 7pm start.
------

Until next time...

J.W.

No comments: